Esslingen is one of the oldest wine-growing towns in Württemberg (wine-growing was first mentioned in a document in the year 778). The former Free Imperial City with its beautiful medieval town centre owes its prosperity to wine and even today, the municipal coat of arms bears the colours red for the wine, green for the vine.
From time immemorial our ancestors have been devoted to wine-growing. It is this fact, and also Esslingen’s wonderful wine tradition that means continuity and also commitment to us as their descendents. As a family-run business, we continue the over 1200-year-old wine tradition.
Our grapes grow exclusively on the sunny terrace vineyards and steep slopes ending at the foot of the Gothic Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche). The terraces – laid out in the year 1220 by the Staufer dynasty – put their stamp on the townscape up to the present day. Viniculture in this top location is extremely arduous and labour-intensive. The high standards of quality for our wines are, however, paramount.
In addition to the terrace vineyards on the Esslingen Schenkenberg, we are also the proud owners of the smallest vineyard in Württemberg, the Esslingen Neckarhalde, which is steeped in tradition (monopoly site).
Wine lovers and connoisseurs especially appreciate our fully fermented wines and we attach the greatest value to their purity and balance.
Our winery is situated in the medieval wine centre of the town, in the heart of the Old Town, only five minutes’ walk from the Church of Our Lady and the vineyards. Our vintage sparkling wines mature in the cellars of this family winery in the so-called “Wengerter Beutau” (wine-growers’ suburb). That is also where our wines can be bought in the Old Town (see map for route directions).
With the 2012 grape harvest, we moved out of the constricted Old Town into the newly-built Gravity Flow Winery in the midst of the Neckarhalde vineyard. This step made it possible for us to work more economically and freely. In addition, the wines are gently pressed and produced here directly on-site. With vinotheque and second direct wine sales in the vineyard (see map for route directions).
Our winery also owns an elaborately restored medieval wine press building, also situated in the Untere Beutau (Old Winery). This is the oldest winery building in Southern Germany and it offers the ideal setting for the fitting presentation of our wines and our public relations work.